Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mulan by Sylvie Leigh

I put away my silks
and took up my sword.
I wore my hair short
And bound my breasts.
Instead of his blessing
I carried the name of my father
On my back like my shield.

Sword in hand,
I fought
Men twice my age
Men my father’s age
from the back of a horse
Four times my size
I learned a man’s touch
from the blows of his sword.

I fought in battle next to the best of men
Not one knew I was not one of them
I was not one of them

My hair kept shorn
Close to my face
To hide behind my mask.
I lost myself.

I lost on some battlefield
Along with my blood
The ability to heal the wounds inside
With warmth
Like a woman does.

Ten years in the bitter cold
taught me
The foolishness of silk.
The long winters
stripped me to solid core,
My warrior spirit,


I was a warrior
Not a woman
I was a warrior
Not a woman
But I was.

When I returned home after ten years,
My favorite silk kimono
Still hung by my bedroom door.
And my hair grew back.
And my hands grew soft.

But I did not.

No comments: