Sunday, April 27, 2008

For you, David.

Wow. What an awesome blog - I'll be checking in on this daily now.
I read somewhere in the comments or the blog that this is really just about letting women know that they don't have to stick to the standards of what is "beautiful" as decided by society (men AND women).
Thought I could share a story that would explain why I personally have given up maintaining an ideal look for a man.
For almost a year, I dated a man I was very happy with. His name was David and we were great friends and possibly could have been very happy together for a long time. However, about six months into our relationship, he bought me a book, "Full Frontal Feminism".
After reading it, I realized the sickening blindness that was overtaking my life.
David came from a very wealthy family, and he was used to getting things his way. He liked his women to look just so, just as his mom looked for his dad everyday. He didn't like them to act "unnatural" or so he claimed. He treated me to diamonds, expensive dinners, and so on as long as I kept playing my part in his little game.
He had stupid silly demands:
My toenails and fingernails had to match in color and never chip.
My hair and makeup had to be done every day.
I had to wear nice things out to dinner with him - I mean nice....
I had to shave my pubic hair. Never mind the fact that when I shave my underarms or pubic area, I always (and I have tried everything, guys) get unbearably painful bumps that last for days, as well as ingrown hairs...
When he decided to go on a diet midway through our relationship, I had to go on one with him.
After we broke up, he asked me just how much weight I had gained when we were together.
....
Yeah, I dated THAT guy.

Since then, I've not only allowed myself freedom in my appearance, but in my lifestyle. Without a boyfriend, I don't feel guilty going out every night with my friends and never picking up my phone when it rings. I don't plan on ever being married, although I think it can be a great choice for others. I am going to travel through Europe and Asia after I graduate because I can and I want to. I've not only abandoned standards of beauty, but of lifestyle as well. While most of my friends are looking to settle down, I don't feel as if I've gotten nearly rowdy enough to have anything to settle to!!!!
If I don't wear makeup, so what? If I choose not to wear "pretty" clothes that show off my tits, so what? If I always wear flipflops with my toenails unpainted or chipped, who cares? I see men doing the same all the time.
And, since David and I broke up, I've found someone much better in my life. He loves me, is always there for me, and knows that I need my space as much as he does. That's why we're not officially dating. I always know he will be there, but I don't need him and he doesn't need me and that's what keeps us strong. He sees me without makeup, in sweatpants, all the time and still rolls over in the middle of the night to kiss my face because he sees my true beauty.
I hope everyone finds a man like him!

No comments: